Gerber Law: For Justice

Providing aggressive advocacy to injury victims in the southwest coast of Florida for 20 years.

There are steps that truckers can take to avoid crashes

On Behalf of | Dec 6, 2019 | Truck Accidents

Data published by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) shows that some 3,400 motorists died in tractor-trailer accidents in 2010. Those same statistics show that only 20% of all truck-involved crashes, both nonfatal and fatal, could be blamed on the truckers. The remaining 80% were believed to have been caused by noncommercial drivers. There are steps that truckers can take to reduce their chances of causing a crash according to the logistics company Cardinal though.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) notes that the leading causes of truck accidents are rear-ended accidents, speeding, driver fatigue, loss of control and lane drifting. Other factors that contribute to such crashes include mechanical failure, driver fatigue, poor road conditions, shifting cargo and debris on the highway.

Cardinal notes that truckers can greatly reduce their chances of becoming involved in an accident with a motorist if they are more deliberate in braking at an intersection and nearby work zones instead of stopping suddenly. Cardinal’s research shows that truckers can benefit from getting a full night’s worth of sleep before they get out on the road and naps along the way if they’re feeling fatigued.

The logistic company’s research also shows that truckers could benefit from remaining vigilant for problem motorists and debris on the road. Cardinal recommends that truckers look in their mirrors for blind spots when attempting to change lanes. They emphasize that it’s important for truckers to remain vigilant for inclement weather and that regular inspect their tractor-trailers before taking them out on the road as well.

While IIHS data shows that motorists are often the ones who are responsible for truck accidents, many would argue that truckers are often to blame for the most catastrophic crashes. If you’ve been left permanently disabled or lost a loved one due to a trucker’s negligence, then an attorney in Sarasota can provide you with trial-tested help in your Florida crash case.


Share This