Gerber Law: For Justice

Providing aggressive advocacy to injury victims in the southwest coast of Florida for 20 years.

Who Is Responsible After A Car Accident?

Following the initial shock of a car accident, it is all too easy to assume that the other driver caused the crash. Even if this is true, liability in Florida car accidents is not always so straightforward.

Florida uses comparative negligence. This essentially means that drivers in a crash may be eligible to receive damages for their injuries that reflect the percentage they were at fault. At Gerber Law, we assist in determining comparative negligence for your case. Founding attorney Maria Gerber offers aggressive representation to pursue the compensation you deserve.

We represent car accident victims across Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties, as well as individuals throughout Florida. Call 866-233-4529 (4LAW) to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with us.

Comparative Negligence: A Deeper Look

Comparative negligence is complex to determine but greatly affects the outcome of your case. For example, if you are found to be 20 percent responsible for the accident while the other driver is 80 percent responsible, you are likely eligible to receive 80 percent of the gross recovery.

Both drivers may have a different story. Further complicating matters is that not all collisions have a single factor that ultimately caused the crash. We will strategically investigate the case to anticipate the fault percentages of each driver, while pursuing the damages you deserve.

Steps You Can Take To Strengthen Your Case At The Accident Scene

It is easy to feel helpless after an accident. However, there are several steps you can take to enhance your case:

  • Take photos of your and the at-fault driver’s vehicles.
  • Take notes of any statements or admissions made by the at-fault driver.
  • If able, collect and record contact information of any witnesses present.
  • If your car is towed, retrieve all pertinent documents, such as registration, proof of insurance and personal items (medication, cell phone, eyeglasses, etc.).
  • Exchange information with the other driver, including insurance and contact information.
  • Document the number of parties involved, whether the at-fault driver had passengers, and whether the other driver left the scene of the accident.
  • Call 911 quickly after the accident if there someone is seriously injured to allow emergency authorities maximum time to get to the scene.
  • Assess bodily injuries as soon as possible.
  • Remain on the scene until police come so you can give your account of the events; the only exception to this rule is if you are taken to the hospital to receive emergency medical care.
  • Identify if a commercial vehicle was the at-fault vehicle.

If fault is disputed, it is especially important to preserve key documentation from the scene. Quick thinking can keep the facts fresh and allow you to properly document the events that occurred.

Personal injury cases are strengthened by investigating the cause early and pursuing damages sooner rather than later. If you sustained injuries from a car accident caused by another driver, contacting Gerber Law immediately is critical. The longer you wait to act, the weaker your case can become, particularly if who is at fault is in question.

Schedule An Initial Consultation With A Lawyer

Contact our offices in Sarasota or Venice to schedule a free initial consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis. If we do not successfully recover compensation for you, you will not pay. Call 866-233-4529 (4LAW) or contact us online.