Personal Injury Law Firm
Protecting The Rights of Florida Accident Victims
SARASOTA & Venice MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYERS
Serving Clients Across Florida and In North Port, Port Charlotte, Lakewood Ranch, Punta Gorda, Sarasota County, Manatee County, & Charlotte County
Motorcycles are a lot of fun to drive, but unfortunately accidents are all too common and sometimes the results can be tragic. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident in Sarasota, contact an experienced Florida motorcycle accident attorney as soon as you can. Having a qualified personal injury attorney on your team in Sarasota can be the difference between winning and losing your case.
At Gerber Law, we have more than two decades of experience representing motorcycle accident victims. We can help you fight for a fair claim settlement that can be used to pay medical bills, supplement lost wages and meet other important financial obligations. If you were injured while riding a motorcycle in Sarasota, give us a call today for a free consultation.
Motorcycle accident causes
Motorcycles are forced to share the road with much larger vehicles, which means when accidents occur they are more likely to be serious. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 75% of motorcycle accidents result in serious injury or death. Although the state has taken measures to improve driver safety, there are still hundreds of motorcycle accidents each year in Florida.
Listed below are some of the most common reasons motorcycle accidents occur in Sarasota:
- Distracted driving or other driver errors.
- Larger vehicles failing to see motorcycles on the road and cutting them off.
- Poor weather conditions.
- Potholes and other road maintenance issues.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Speeding or aggressive driving.
- Sudden lane changes without signaling.
If you’re involved in a motorcycle accident because another driver wasn’t paying attention or acted negligently behind the wheel, you have the right to be compensated for your injuries.
There are two major legal reasons that motorcycle accidents are different than other motor vehicle accidents. Those two reasons include:
- You do not need to prove that you received permanent injuries because of the accident to win a settlement claim. This is not the case for car accident victims.
- All motorcycle accident victims can receive compensation for pain and suffering, even if it’s not permanent.
Motorcycle accident victims are also entitled to receive compensation for any property damage they may have suffered in the accident.
How much compensation can you recover after a motorcycle accident?
Unfortunately, there’s no way to determine exactly how much compensation you can recover if you were wrongfully injured in a motorcycle accident. However, at Gerber Law, our attorneys can help evaluate your case, determine a fair settlement amount, and fight for your right to be compensated.
Listed below are some of things you can be compensated for after a motorcycle accident in Sarasota:
- Medical expenses; past, present and future.
- Damage to your property.
- Lost income from missed time from work.
- Diminished future earning capacity.
- Loss of life enjoyment.
- Loss of familial relationships.
At Gerber Law, we leave no stone unturned when it comes to investigating your case and holding insurers accountable for paying what they owe.
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations is a legal term that refers to the amount of time after an accident or crime that you have to file a claim or press charges. When it comes to motorcycle accidents, it depends on several factors, such as the injuries that occurred, the type of accident and the liable party’s ability to pay for the damages.
Listed below are the statute of limitations for different types of incidents:
- Personal injury claims. This common type of claim can be filed against any liable party or insurance company. The statute of limitations can be up to four years.
- Wrongful death claims. If a loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident because of the negligence of another driver, you can file this type of claim to pay for funeral costs, long-term care of children and other expenses. There is a statute of limitation of two years following the accident.
- Property damage claims. This type of claim can be used to pay for the cost of damaged property after an accident. The statute of limitations is four years.
- Government entities. If the party responsible for your injuries was a government employee or if the roadways were poorly maintained and were government roads, you can file a claim against a government entity. The statute of limitations is three years.
Although the statute of limitations for each claim gives you some time, it is best to file your claim immediately after a motorcycle accident or as soon as you recover from your injuries. The sooner you can start to build your claim with the help of a skilled personal injury attorney in Sarasota, the better chance you have at receiving fair compensation.
When faced with a motorcycle accident in Sarasota, having an accident attorney by your side can be immensely beneficial. Navigating the legal processes on your own can be daunting, especially while handling the physical and emotional trauma from the accident. Hiring an attorney can ensure you're not alone during this challenging time and can significantly improve your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.
Here are some of the advantages of hiring a motorcycle accident attorney in Sarasota:
- Expertise in Law: A seasoned accident attorney has comprehensive knowledge of the legal processes, rules, and laws related to motorcycle accidents. They can help interpret these laws to your benefit and ensure your rights are protected.
- Handling Insurance Companies: An experienced attorney knows how to deal with insurance companies and can effectively negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. They know the tactics insurance companies often use to minimize compensation and can counteract them effectively.
- Evidence Collection: Attorneys can help gather all necessary evidence to support your claim. This can include accident reports, medical records, witness testimonies, and any other relevant documentation.
- Legal Representation: If your case goes to court, an attorney will be able to represent you and present your case persuasively in front of a judge or jury.
- Peace of Mind: Ultimately, having an attorney means you have a professional looking out for your best interests. This provides the peace of mind needed to focus on recovery while the legal aspects are handled by someone proficient in this field.
By hiring an experienced Sarasota motorcycle accident attorney, you can take a crucial step towards ensuring a fair settlement and getting the justice you deserve.
How to Select a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Choosing the right motorcycle accident attorney for your case is of paramount importance. The attorney you choose will have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. A skilled and experienced attorney will have the necessary knowledge and resources to effectively fight for your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. However, finding the right attorney can be a daunting task. Here are some steps to help you in this process:
- Research: Begin by doing thorough research. Look for attorneys who specialize in motorcycle accident cases in Sarasota. The internet is a good place to start; you can check attorney websites, online reviews, and ratings.
- Experience: Check the attorney's experience in handling motorcycle accident cases similar to yours. A seasoned attorney with a successful track record can greatly improve the chances of a favorable outcome in your case.
- Consultation: Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Take this opportunity to discuss your case, understand the legal procedures involved, and assess how comfortable you feel with the attorney.
- Fees: Always inquire about the attorney's fee structure. Most accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if they win your case. However, always be sure to understand the details of this agreement.
- Communication: Good communication is crucial. Your attorney should be accessible, responsive, and willing to explain every aspect of your case in language you understand.
- Reputation: A good reputation speaks volumes about an attorney's services. Check if the attorney is in good standing with the local bar association, has any disciplinary actions against them, or has received recognition or awards for their services.
Remember, finding the right attorney might take time, but it's a crucial step in ensuring a fair settlement and getting the justice you deserve. Starting your search for the right attorney is the first step in making your motorcycle claim easier to handle. The second step is calling our law firm.
Knowing what to do after a motorcycle accident is extremely important. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can be so scary and stressful that often people panic and make mistakes that jeopardize their Sarasota motorcycle accident claims.
Listed below are some things you can do after a motorcycle accident to give yourself the best chance of winning your claim:
- Safety. After the accident, make sure you get to a safe place and check on anyone else who was involved. Also, get out of the way of oncoming traffic to avoid more danger.
- Call 911. Once you are safe, the next step is to call for emergency services. Even if you do not think you have any injuries, allow yourself to be checked out by medical personnel when they arrive at the scene and follow their advice.
- Collecting evidence. If you can, take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to your motorcycle, and witness statements and contact information. You can also buy a notebook and begin taking notes about how the accident happened, writing down as much details as possible. Lastly, save all documents from doctor or hospital visits.
You should also make sure that you do not accept responsibility or apologize at the scene of the accident, and do not speak with the other driver’s insurance companies until you’ve contacted a Florida motorcycle accident lawyer in your area.
Contact a Sarasota motorcycle accident lawyer
At Gerber Law, we know how terrifying a motorcycle accident can be, especially when you are severely injured and face expensive medical bills and an uncertain future. That’s why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping victims in Florida who were injured because of the negligence of another driver or party. For a free consultation with one of our Sarasota motorcycle accident attorneys, give us a call today at (941) 304-5003 or write to us here online.
“I highly recommend Gerber Legal Services.” - LA Reid
“Attorney Gerber has been very understanding, helpful, took the time to explain everything and was always available when I need to talk to her.” - Gabriele R.
“I highly recommend Gerber Law!” - P.M.
“Thank you for your compassion and understanding.” - Tom
“Definitely went the extra mile.” - David
“I’m very happy and satisfied with the results.” - Samantha
“I appreciate your work and effort.” - Sara
“Your group is the best.” - Brandon
“My personal thanks to each and every one of you.” - Jean
“Brought me to a very satisfying resolution.” - Todd
“I appreciate all the help you gave.” - Karen
$775 Thousand Truck Accident
$690 Thousand Pedestrian Accident
$675 Thousand Auto Accident
$450 Thousand Bicycle Accident
$425 Thousand Premises Liability
$365 Thousand Slip & Fall
No Fees or Cost Unless We Win For You.
Experienced Representation. Client Advocacy. Skilled Negotiator.
We Offer Home & Hospital Visits For Our Clients.
We Are Available 24/7 & Have Free Consultations In Person, By Phone, and Virtual.